I had purchased two cooked chickens from the grocer a day ago, and we had not eaten much of it. I thought I could put the rest of the chicken to good use. I cut up the rest of the chicken and started my hunt for a good recipe.
I found one that I thought I would like. The only ingredient I did not have was the cream of chicken soup..so I ran up to the store for that.
I wasn't quite sure how this recipe would turn out. It seemed like quite a bit of work, and boy, what a mess I made in the kitchen. But from my past experiences, whenever I have made a mess in the past, the food is usually very good!
I thought perhaps I would make some nice cornbread too. I just love cornbread. Mmmm!
I couldn't wait for dinner to be ready :)
My husband passed by the meal before I popped it in the oven...he made one comment, it was so funny, I am STILL laughing over it.. his comment was "what is that thing" LOL!
He is such a funny man! I love him!
I am still laughing over thinking of just the way he said it. I was so hoping this meal would come out good, or should I say "this thing" would come out good. :)
Indeed it did!
This was one of the most DELICIOUS casseroles I have ever had ! It was so good! I am so glad I made this meal..even my husband thought it was good, and he usually doesn't care for chicken too much :)
The cornbread went so well with it also.
Sooo...I thought I would share the recipe I found on the internet with you. It really came out delicious, and being that I tried it, and it worked out so well, I just have to pass it along!
Hope you will try it too, it is really worth it..and makes so much!
I am hoping I can possibly freeze some of it? Not sure, but I might try, there is so much leftover.
Recipe Taken from AllRecipes.com
- 1 (10 ounce) package yellow rice, cooked
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups dried bread crumbs, seasoned
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Spread rice evenly over the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle cubed chicken evenly over rice, then sprinkle the broccoli over the chicken. Mix soup and milk together, and pour mixture evenly over chicken/broccoli mixture. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the soup.
- Melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan or skillet over low heat; add bread crumbs and mix completely together. Spoon mixture evenly over cheese layer in baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 1 hour.